John maintains a practice that is dominated by catastrophic, complex, and class action litigation in the State and Federal Courts. He focuses much of his time on insurance coverage disputes, bad faith defense, lawyer and insurance agent malpractice, business litigation, and catastrophic damages caused by all types of casualty risks, including transportation, construction, product liability, fires, and governmental liability, to name a few. He has also argued numerous appeals in the State and Federal appellate courts as counsel for a party and as amicus counsel for lawyer and trade associations. Through the years, he has been admitted pro hac vice in more than 20 jurisdictions, and is frequently hired by out-of-state firms to serve as local counsel in Indiana.
John C. TrimblePartner
Seventh Circuit affirms dismissal of action by collection agent for volunteer fire departments to recover environmental cleanup costs under CERCLA
Indiana Supreme Court ruled in favor of an insurance company on insured's obligation to give timely notice of a loss and timely notice of a lawsuit
Empire Fire and Marine Ins. Co. v. Frierson
2016 WL 276482
When insureds are involved in automobile accidents, volunteer fire departments typically respond and render environmental cleanup services. A collection agent for the volunteer fire departments often attempts to recover the expenses for the clean-up costs from accident victims and their insurance companies by contending that a right to collect such charges existed under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (“CERCLA”). 42 USC § 9601 et. seq. John Trimble and Richard K. Shoultz represented The Insurance Institute of Indiana, Inc., Property Casualty Insurers Association of America, and Wisconsin Insurance Alliance in asking the Seventh Circuit to affirm the Northern District of Indiana’s dismissal of the collection agent’s lawsuit against the insureds and insurance companies. The Seventh Circuit affirmed the dismissal, concluding that an insured’s use of an automobile that may have been involved in an accident qualified as part of a “consumer product” exception under CERCLA, which prohibited the use of the act to recover for environmental cleanup costs.
It is anticipated that this decision will be a significant one in curtailing volunteer fire department’s efforts to overcome budget shortcomings by imposing environmental cleanup costs upon insureds and their insurance companies.
Click here to read full opinion
The Indiana Supreme Court ruled in favor of an insurance company on the issue of the insured's obligation to give timely notice of a loss and timely notice of a lawsuit. The Court also addressed the significant issue of what is an "occurrence" under a CGL policy.
2016 WL 276482Lewis Wagner team members, John Trimble, Richard Shoultz and Chuck Whybrew, were hired by the client to pursue post-judgment and appellate relief of an adverse verdict entered against the client. Specifically, the plaintiff, a renter of an automobile from a rental car company, was involved in an automobile accident with an underinsured motorist (“UIM”). The renter sought UIM coverage from the rental car company and its insurer, Empire Fire and Marine Insurance Company (“Empire”). Empire denied that any UIM coverage was available based upon language contained in the rental agreement and the insurance policy with the rental car company, whose terms were incorporated into the rental agreement.
The Trial Court denied Empire’s Motion for Summary Judgment. Although the renter did not seek nor did the Court specifically grant summary judgment on the coverage issues to the renter, the trial court refused to allow Empire to argue its coverage defenses at trial. As a result, a significant verdict was entered against the insurance company.
The Lewis Wagner attorneys first sought post-judgment relief at the trial court level by filing a Motion to Correct Error and for Additional Setoff. The Trial Court denied the Motion to Correct Error, but granted, in part, the request for setoff by reducing the judgment against Empire after deducting amounts received by the renter from the UIM.
On appeal, the Court reversed the Trial Court’s denial of Empire’s Motion for Summary Judgment. Specifically, the Court found that any coverage provided by Empire was under a “commercial excess liability” policy, and pursuant to Indiana Code 27-7-5-2(d), such coverage was not required to be made available to insureds or rejected by them. Consequently, the Court instructed that summary judgment be entered in favor of Empire.
Pro Hac Vice Admissions:
- Superior Court, Sacramento, California
- California, Superior Court, San Bernardino, California
- Superior Court, Washington, D.C.
- Fulton Superior Court, Atlanta, Georgia
- Cook County Circuit Court, Chicago, Illinois
- Laurel County Circuit Court, Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Fayette Circuit Court, Lexington, Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Eastern Division, Baltimore, Maryland
- Wicomico Circuit Court, Salisbury, Maryland
- Saratoga Circuit Court, Saratoga, New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- Court of Common Pleas, Stark County, Canton, Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio Western Division, Cincinnati, Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio
- Harris County Circuit Court, Houston, Texas
- Mid-America Sound v Indiana State Fair Commission, et al. Indiana Supreme Court. Represented the Indiana State Fair in the defense of a claim for indemnity filed by Mid-America for damages arising out of a stage roof collapse at the Fair on August 13, 2011, in which 7 persons were killed and over 70 were injured. (March 2016)
- Empire Fire and Marine Ins. Co. v. Frierson, 2016 WL 276482 (Ind. Ct. App. 2016), Counsel for Defendant, arguing for reversal of jury verdict against insurer (represented by a different law firm) for trial court's errors in failure to grant summary judgment in underinsured motorist claim.
- Andy Mohr West d/b/a Mohr Toyota, et al v, Toyota Motor Sales USA, et al. Indiana Supreme Court. Represented Toyota in a dispute filed by three Indianapolis area Toyota dealers who sought to challenge Toyota’s right to move a Toyota dealership from Anderson, Indiana to Fishers, Indiana.
- Robert Spierer, et al v Jason Rosenbaum, et al U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Represented college student Rosenbaum on the issue of whether he had legal liability to the parents of Indiana University student, Lauren Spierer, who disappeared early one summer morning after an evening of partying in Bloomington, Indiana. (August 2015)
- Wellpoint, Inc. (f/k/a Anthem, Inc.) and Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. v. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, et al, Amicus counsel for The American Casualty Insurers Insurance Association, The National Association of Mutual Insurance Company, and The Property Association of America, addressing availability of liability coverage for allegations of bad faith by a medical insurance company (2015).
- Bush v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 905 N.E.2d 1003 (Ind. 2009). The issue involved parents’ attempts to recover uninsured motorist coverage for the death of their adult son who did not reside in their home.
- Tri-Etch, Inc. v. Cincinnati Insurance Company, Amicus counsel for the Indiana Institute of Indiana Inc., addressing the issue of whether an insurance company must waive the late notice defense if it raises other unrelated coverage issues (2008).
- Richard J. and Delores J. Pflanz v. Merrill Foster, Individually, Merrill Foster d/b/a Friendly Foster’s Service and Sunoco, Inc (R & M), Amicus Counsel for Insurance Institute of Indiana on the issue of the statute of limitation to bring an insurance claim for environmental clean-up damages.
- Indiana Bell Telephone Co. v. Indiana Payphone Association, Amicus counsel for the American Public Communication Council arguing issues relating to utility rates for pay telephones.
- Cain v. Griffin, 2006 Indiana Supreme Court. This case decided that there is no duty of good faith owed by an insurance carrier to a Third-Party Beneficiary of and insurance contract.
- Midtown Chiropractic v. Illinois Farmers Insurance Company, 2006. Counsel for Insurance Institute of Indiana and Property Casualty Insurers Assoc. of America, on the issue of whether creditors of plaintiffs can bring direct actions against defendant insurance carriers.
- Minnet v. State Farm, Indiana Court of Appeals, 2001. Counsel for Insurance Institute of Indiana on the issue of whether Indiana should judicially adopt a third party tort of bad faith.
- Jesse v. American Community Mut. Ins. Co., Counsel for Insurance Institute of Indiana (III), arguing the issue of material misrepresentation on an application for insurance.
- Ammerman v. Ford, Indiana Supreme Court, 1999. Counsel for Defense Research Institute (DRI), arguing admissibility of expert witness testimony.
- Ross v. Cheema, Indiana Supreme Court, 1998. Counsel for Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Inc., arguing against the expansion of damages for negligent infliction of emotional distress.
- Mortell v. State Farm Insurance, 1996. Indiana Court of Appeals. Counsel for Indiana Insurance Institute, arguing procedures for review of insurance company conduct in the administration of claims.
- Collins v. Economy Fire & Casualty, Indiana Supreme Court, 1995. Counsel for Indiana Insurance Institute, arguing issue of insurance company liability for excess verdicts.
- Richey v. Chappell, Indiana Supreme Court, 1990. Counsel for Indiana Defense Lawyers Association, arguing issue of discoverability of insurance claim files.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Rated AV
- Listed In The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Insurance Law; Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2010-2017
- Best Lawyers’ 2016 Indianapolis Insurance Law - Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers’ 2015 Indianapolis Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants - Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers’ 2013 Indianapolis Insurance Law - Lawyer of the Year
- Listed In Indiana Super Lawyers©, 2004-2017
- Top 10, Indiana Super Lawyers©, 2009-2017
- Ranked Number One in Indiana. 2011-2017
- Professionalism Award, Indianapolis Bar Association, 2016
- Presidential Citation, Indiana State Bar Association, 2013
- Distinguished Barrister, The Indiana Lawyer, 2009
- Award of Recognition for Legislative Assistance in the area of tort liability law, Insurance Institute of Indiana, 1999
- Exceptional Performance Citation, Defense Research Institute, 1999
- President’s Award, Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, 1999
- Fred H. Sievert Award for National Outstanding Defense Bar Leader of the Year, Defense Research Institute, 1999
- Alumni Achievement Award, Hanover College, 1998
- “Who’s Who in Law,” Indianapolis Business Journal, 1998
- One of Indianapolis’ Top Lawyers, Indianapolis Monthly Magazine, 1993
- 1991 Indiana Defense Lawyer of the Year, Indiana Defense Lawyers Association, 1992
- American Bar Association
- Association of Attorney/Mediators
- Defense Research Institute
- Women In The Law Committee, Promotion & Leadership Vice-Chair Chair, 2015
- Chair, Law Practice Management Committee, 2013-2015
- Indiana State Representative, 2001-2003
- Board of Directors, 2003-06
- Chair, Judicial Task Force on the Independence of the Judiciary, 2005-2008
- Chair, State and Local Defense Organization Relationship Committee, 2007-2009
- Chair, Public Policy Committee, 2010
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Diplomat, 2013
- Board of Directors, 1993-2000
- President, 1998-1999
- Legislative Chairman, 1991-1999
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, 2009
- Vice-Chair of the Law Practice Management Committee
- Vice-Chair of the Defense of the Judiciary Committee
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Chair of the State Legislation Committee 1996
- Committee on Improvements to the Judicial System, January 2008
- Indianapolis American Inn of Court, 2004 - present
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Past President, 2016
- President, 2015
- President Elect, 2014
- Discipline/Grievance Committee D, 1996 - present
- Litigation Section, 1981-present
- Board of Managers, 2002-2004
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Fellow, November, 2001
- Indianapolis Law Club, 1994 - present
- Indianapolis Lawyers Club, 1998 - present
- Indianapolis Legal Aid Society, Inc.
- Board of Directors 2009 - present
- Indiana Arson and Crime Association, Inc.
- International Association of Defense Counsel, 1994 - present
- Judicial Excellence Political Action Committee (JEPAC), 2007 – present
- Kentucky Defense Counsel
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- The National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Indiana Chapter, 2014 - present
- Succession Planning: Protecting Your Firm and Your Clients’ Legal Interests in Times of Transition, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, 2017 Winter Meeting, Charleston, SC, March 10, 2017, Panelist.
- Building Relationships and Rainmaking, Washington Defense Lawyers Association, Whistler, BC, Canada, July 15, 2016.
- The Future of Law and How Lawyers Can Prepare and Thrive in Changing Times, All-Ohio Legal Forum FuturePlan: Strategies for the Future of Your Practice, Cincinnati, OH, April, 2016.
- Practice Structure and Building a “value added” Practice with a Succession Plan, All-Ohio Legal Forum FuturePlan: Strategies for the Future of Your Practice, Cincinnati, OH, April, 2016, Panelist.
- Succession Planning: Protecting Your Client’s Legal Interests in Times of Transition, DRI Women in the Law Seminar, Scottsdale, AZ, February 17-19, 2016, Panelist.
- Litigation Trial Skills Series: Utilizing Technology in the Courtroom, Indianapolis Bar Association, June 10, 2015.
- Using Metrics to Improve Your Business and Bridging the Generation Gap: Practical Tips for Communications Among Generations, Nebraska Annual Meeting, Nebraska Defense Counsel Association, June 5, 2015.
- Breakthrough Negotiations, Faculty Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, May 28-29, 2015.
- The Impact of Metrics on Law Firms: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You, FDCC/IADC Law Practice Management Seminar, Chicago, IL, May 13-15, 2015.
- Make it Rain! Inside Tips for Transitioning from Associate to Rainmaker, Indianapolis Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, May 16, 2014.
- Evolve or Perish: Leading your Firm in an Increasingly Competitive Market, Faculty Member and Presenter on Strategic Planning for Law Firms, 2014 Managing Partner Forum, Atlanta, GA, May 7-8, 2014.
- Retaining Diverse Employees for Years to Come, Indianapolis Bar Association, April 17, 2014.
- What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You – HIPAA Compliance for Law Firms, Indianapolis Bar Association, March, 2014.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Public Policy Mediation Course, January 9, 2014.
- What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: A Discussion about How Metrics and Analytics Can Affect Your Practice, DRI Committee Leadership Conference, January 9, 2014.
- Under Attack! How to Respond to Physical and Internet Threats Against Your Firm and Clients, Kentucky Defense Counsel Fall Meeting Lexington, KY, November 8, 2013.
- Behind the Curtain: What Young Lawyers Should Know About Insurance and Business Metrics, Kentucky Defense Counsel Fall Meeting Lexington, KY, November 7, 2013.
- Civil Forms, Indianapolis Bar Association's presentation for Solo and Small Practice Committee Indianapolis, IN, October 30, 2013.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Public Policy Mediation Course, August 22, 2013.
- Metrics & Analytics: The New World of Litigation Management, ITLA Advanced Mediation Training Seminar, July 18, 2013.
- Proper Handling of Trust Accounts and Other Risk Management Issues for Solo and Small Practice Lawyers, Indianapolis Bar Association, Solo and Small Practice Section, May 29, 2013.
- Suing the Sovereign – Tort Claims, Tort Claims against the State of Indiana and Municipalities, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, February 20, 2013.
- Year in Review: Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, 2012.
- Negotiating to Win: How to Win in Mediation, Kentucky Defense Council, 2012.
- Advanced Insurance Law Masters Roundtable, Chair; Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, October 2012.
- CME For Civil Mediators, Avoiding Pessimism in Mediation, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, September 27, 2012.
- The Worst Case and Fall on Your Sword Scenario, Indiana Supreme Court Agency Seminar; September, 20, 2012, Panel Discussion.
- Mediating Governmental Liability and Public Policy Disputes: Special Considerations and Practical Tips, Professional Mediation Institute, August 23, 2012.
- Let’s Talk: In-House to In-House, Outside Counsel’s Perspective of Corporate Litigation, Webinar, DRI, August 16, 2012.
- Negotiating to Win: Techniques for How You Can “Win” in Mediation, Indianapolis Bar Association, June 15, 2012.
- How the Business and Insurance Worlds Grade Their Law Firms, Indianapolis Bar Association, June 15, 2012.
- Demystifying the Judicial Selection Process, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, June 7, 2012.
- Two Parties…One Oath, A Conversation on Civility, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (Sponsored by Indiana Trial Lawyers Association and Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana), May 24, 2012.
- Mediating Public Policy/Public Entity Disputes: A Mediator’s Trials and Errors, The Association of Attorney/Mediators, Annual Meeting, May 2012.
- Two Parties…One Oath, A Conversation on Civility,Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (Sponsored by Indiana Trial Lawyers Association and Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, May 24, 2012.
- Judicial Selection Class, Lecture on Judicial Nominating Process and Merit Selection, Indiana University Robert McKinney School of Law, February 2012.
- Public Policy Mediation Within State Government (Basic Civil Mediation), January 2012.
- Year In Review, Recent Developments in Insurance Law, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, December 2011.
- Negotiating to Win: Techniques for How You Can ‘Win’ in Mediation, Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana Annual Meeting, November 2011.
- Negotiating to Win: Techniques for How You Can ‘Win’ in Mediation, Indianapolis Bar Association, October 2011.
- Mediation Tips: Know When (Not) Walk Away, Las Vegas Destination CLE, October 13-16, 2011.
- Young Lawyers Survival Skills: Initial Case Assessment to Answering a Complaint-Laying the Groundwork for a Successful Defense, DRI Webcast, October 12, 2011.
- Insurance 101: A Basic Insurance Course for Practitioners, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, September 2011, Chair.
- Year In Review, Recent Developments in Insurance Law, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, September 2011.
- Wrangling to Win: Techniques for How You Can “Win” in Mediation, DRI Young Lawyers Seminar, June 10, 2011.
- Effective Use of Consultants and Experts in Mediation, Indianapolis Bar Association, June 7, 2011.
- Networking for New Attorneys, Indianapolis Bar Association Young Lawyer Section, March 2011.
- Foreshadowing, Discussing, Avoiding and Dealing with Pessimism, Association of Attorney/Mediators Annual Meeting, March 2011.
- Anticipating and Avoiding Pessimism and Impasse in Mediation, Association of Attorney Mediators, 2011.
- National Trends in Assaults on the Judiciary, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, 2011.
- Long Range Planning, State and Local Defense Organization Committee of DRI, 2011.
- Insurance Coverage for Defective Construction: Does Sheehan Change the Rules of the Game?, Construction Law & Surety Committee of the Indiana State Bar Association, December 2, 2010.
- Year in Review on the Recent Developments in Insurance Law, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, December 7, 2010.
- Public Policy Mediation Within State Government (Basic Civil Mediation) Training, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis, Professional Skills & Knowledge, August, 2010.
- Advanced Insurance Law, Faculty Chair, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Master’s Series Conference, July 2010.
- Disaster Preparation and Recovery for Law Firms and Courts, April 15, 2010.
- Professional Skills & Knowledge, Public Policy Mediation Within State Government (Basic Civil Mediation) Training, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis, January 2010.
- Public Policy Mediation Within State Government (Basic Civil Mediation) Training, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis, Professional Skills & Knowledge, January 2010.
- Year In Review, Recent Developments in Insurance Law, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, December 2009.
- Revisiting the Tripartite Relationship: A Review of Common Ethical Problems Facing Defense Attorneys, Annual Meeting of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, November 20, 2009.
- Preparation, Protection and Planning for Risk Transfer, MJ Insurance construction client seminar, November, 12, 2009.
- Indiana Insurance Coverage Law Update, Allstate Insurance Company, October 2009.
- Claims Handling: What Your Client’s Loss Looks Like, (a demonstration of a mediation in a fire product liability case) CHUBB Insurance Company, September 2009.
- Public Policy Mediation Within State Government (Basic Civil Mediation) Training, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis, Professional Skills & Knowledge, August 2009.
- Mapping the Legal Frontier: The Uncertain Boundary between Federal and State Law, National Foundation for Judicial Excellence, July 2009, Organizing Committee.
- Mediation Strategies, Indianapolis Bar Association, June 2009.
- Legislative Update from the Defense Perspective, ADC Regional Meeting, April 2009.
- "Eye on the Profession: Dr. King's timeless words from 50 years ago still ring true," The Indiana Lawyer, February 22, 2017.
- "Eye on the Profession: Our profession needs to be ready for rocky times ahead," The Indiana Lawyer, November 2, 2016.
- “Believe What You Want to Believe: The Decision is Yours,” The Indiana Lawyer, November 18, 2015.
- “What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: Insurance Metrics and Analytics,” DRI: For The Defense, November 2015.
- "When a Barking Dog is a Good Thing: Some Tips for Success for Young Lawyers," The Indiana Lawyer, August 26, 2015.
- “Disruptive Innovation: Lawyers Must Pay Attention,” The Indiana Lawyer, August 12, 2015.
- “Implicit Bias: We All Have It,” The Indiana Lawyer, July 29, 2015.
- “Solo and Small Practice: It takes Courage and Strength,” The Indiana Lawyer, July 15, 2015.
- “Personal Branding: Do You Have a Brand?” The Indiana Lawyer, June 17, 2015.
- “Mentoring: Do You Have it in You?” The Indiana Lawyer, June 3, 2015.
- "Reflections on a 'Family Reunion' Bench Bar 2015," The Indiana Lawyer, July 1, 2015.
- "Do You Hate Networking? Then Call it 'Friend Making'," The Indiana Lawyer, May 6, 2015.
- "The Time for a New Justice Center is Now," The Indiana Lawyer, April 22, 2015.
- "Reflections on a Lawyer's Role in a Firestorm," The Indiana Lawyer, April 8, 2015.
- "To Be or Not to Be...Connected 24/7," The Indiana Lawyer, March 25, 2015.
- "What You Don't Know Can Hurt You: It's Time To Pay Attention," The Indiana Lawyer, March 11, 2015.
- Civility Seminar Article, DRI: For the Defense, July 2012.
- "Making Choices in Mediation," Indianapolis Bar Association, November 23, 2011.
- "Mediation of Catastrophic and Complex Claims," Florida Mediation Institute, April 2011.
- "Avoiding Dealing With Pessimism," The Association of Attorney-Mediators Newsletter, September 2009.
- "Mediation of Catastrophic and Complex Claims," DRI: For the Defense, August 2009.
- "The Time is Now for Defense Lawyers to Learn about the Issues Facing the Judiciary," DRI: For the Defense, August 2007
- Without Fear or Favor: A Report by DRI's Judicial Task Force, DRI, 2007 (Chair).
- Castleton Rotary Club
- President, 1991-1992
- Board of Directors 1988-1992
- Greater Indianapolis Republican Finance Committee
- Board of Directors 1988-1994
- Vice-Chairman, 1993-1994
- Hanover College
- Board of Trustees, 2000-present
- Board Secretary 2005-2006
- Alumni Association Board of Directors, 1985-1992; President 1991-1992
- Hanover College Club of Indianapolis
- President 1988-1990
- Indiana Supreme Court Commercial Working Group, 2015
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Board of Visitors
- Chairman, 2015
- Vice Chairmen, 2010-2014
- Chairman of Board, 1996-1998
- Member 1988 - present
- Lawrence Township Republican Roundtable, Chairman, 1991-1995
- Marion County Indiana Republican Ward Chairman; Assistant Republican Township Chairman, Lawrence Township, 1990-2000
- Metropolitan School District of Lawrence Township Education Foundation
- President, Board of Directors, 2004-2005
- Board of Directors, 2000-2006
- National Junior Tennis League, Indianapolis Chapter
- Board of Directors, 1999-2003
Mar 22, 2017
Cultivating the next generation
The Indiana Lawyer
Aug 24, 2016
Departing the partner track becomes road now taken
The Indiana Lawyer
Jan 27, 2016
The Indiana Lawyer
- Feb 22, 2017
- Nov 02, 2016
- Sep 12, 2016
Aug 26, 2015
When a Barking Dog is a Good Thing: Some Tips for Success for Young Lawyers
The Indiana Lawyer
Jul 01, 2015
Reflections on a 'Family Reunion' Bench Bar 2015
The Indiana Lawyer
Jun 01, 2015
Women In Law Committee
DRI And the Defense Wins
May 06, 2015
Do You Hate Networking? Then Call it 'Friend Making'
The Indiana Lawyer
Apr 22, 2015
The Time for a New Justice Center is Now
The Indiana Lawyer
Apr 08, 2015
Reflections on a Lawyer's Role in a Firestorm
The Indiana Lawyer
Mar 25, 2015
To Be or Not To Be Connected 24/7
The Indiana Lawyer
Mar 11, 2015
What You Don't Know Can Hurt You: It's Time to Pay Attention
The Indiana Lawyer
May 07, 2014
Interrogatories Candid Q&A with the Bench and Bar
The Indiana Lawyer
Apr 28, 2014
Avoiding and Dealing with Pessimism in Mediation
The Indiana Lawyer
Jul 01, 2012
Civility Seminar Article
DRI For the Defense
Nov 23, 2011
Making Choices in Mediation
The Indiana Lawyer
- Mar 01, 2010
Aug 12, 2009
Mediation of Catastrophic and Complex Claims
As published in For the Defense, August 2009
- Aug 01, 2007
- Jan 01, 2007
- Mar 10, 2017
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
- Feb 15, 2017
- Aug 29, 2016
- Aug 15, 2016
Feb 12, 2016
Lewis Wagner Attorneys Selected by Indiana Super Lawyers as Top Attorneys
Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine
- Aug 17, 2015
- Feb 13, 2015
- Jan 29, 2015
- Aug 18, 2014
- Jul 02, 2014
- Apr 30, 2014
- Mar 19, 2014
- Feb 12, 2014
- Jan 30, 2014
- Oct 21, 2013
- Oct 18, 2013
- Aug 15, 2013
- Jun 19, 2013
- Mar 27, 2013
- Sep 11, 2012
- Aug 23, 2011
- Oct 04, 2010
- Aug 07, 2009
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- State of Indiana, 1981
Courts of Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1991
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1981
- Honors: Am Jur Award for High Paper in Contracts, 1979; Ben F. Small Fellowship for outstanding achievement, 1980; Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity Area IV Graduate of the Year (Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan), 1981; Faculty Award - Outstanding Graduate of the Year, 1981; Executive Director, Indiana Law Review, Vol. 14, 1981
- The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, 1973-1975
- Hanover College, Hanover, Indiana, B.A., 1977
- Honors: John Finley Crowe Citation, Hanover College (outstanding male graduate), 1977
- ICLEF Civil Mediation Training (40 Hours), 1989